Got a great idea? Think it will be a huge hit? That’s exciting! Now, get out from behind your desk and start talking to prospective customers.
It’s not enough to speculate about what your future customers will think of your product or service. You have to VALIDATE that there is a market, and one of the best ways to do that is to TALK with prospective customers.
Paul Sloan cites one of the reasons for Segway’s failure; “The Segway was patented and kept under wraps until its launch. There was no user feedback or iteration in the process. Its inventors were then surprised when people criticized or ridiculed the design for being ‘dorky’ rather than cool.”
Key Discussion Topics
Wondering how to start the conversation with prospective customers and what to ask? These discussion topics are a good starting point…
· Confirm that customers have a problem, and that they will pay to fix it.
· Discuss your idea and how it will solve their problem. Listen to the customers’ thoughts and objections.
· Understand how your prospects are solving the problem today.
· Determine what it will take for customers to adopt your product.
· Identify how much they will pay to solve the problem.
If your idea is truly unique, and you’re worried that someone you speak with might “steal” it, file a provisional patent before you start talking. The provisional patent has several advantages:
1. You can claim that your idea is “Patent Pending”
2. Your idea is officially “on record” with the US Patent and Trademark Office. If someone “steals” your idea, you can prove that it was yours first.
3. Provisional patents are not publically disclosed, so others can’t view the details behind your idea.
4. It buys you a year to validate your idea with the market.
Don’t let fear prevent you from getting feedback from you target market. Protect what you can, and then start talking.
Need help? Contact KolliFAY Interactive. Together we can validate your idea, and bring your product to market.